Fossil buyers guide
The photographs you see on the product pages are not of the actual specimen you will receive.
They are intended to give you a reasonable idea of what to expect. Buying a fossil or mineral is not like buying a t-shirt - each one is unique and people look for different things when making their choice.
I'll always try to pick what I think are the best examples I have in stock when people are unable to choose their own. If you'd like to pick your own from a few photos, that's easily done, so please ask.
It will vary from product to product, but there are a few factors that can be considered for a general guide to pricing:
- Size - larger specimens may be more expensive and some lines are bought by weight
- Quality - the preservation of fossils, crystal condition or the overall aesthetics of a piece
- Scarcity - rarer species of fossils are usually more expensive
- Preparation - if a fossil has required a lot of skillful preparation work that will add to the price
- Collection - some rocks are just harder to collect than others and need a bit more investment for the original collector
For many of the lines there will be more than one price point. They may not all be on the website, so if you are interested in finding out about further options, please feel free to email or call.
There are always far more ammonites and trilobites for sale, for example, than I can possibly show.
Lastly - what's on the site is only a small percentage of what's on the shelves of the shop, or lurking in the basement. If there's something you are particularly looking for, it's worth getting in touch.
Tax and shipping
Prices shown are inclusive of VAT and the postage rates shown in your cart will be for the UK only.
I've tried to keep the postage simple and fair - not an easy balance. Here's how it works:
- If you spend up to £16, the postage will be £3.30
- Between £16 and £65, the postage will be £4.80
- Over £65 and the postage will be £6.80
- For European Union customers, the same sliding scale applies, but at £5, £8.50 and £10.50.